MDP utilises the knowledge, tools, techniques, and other training modules in skills development where these are identified by clients as areas of need. To achieve multiplier results, training needs will be linked, to institutional development needs.
- To help municipalities accord priority to human resource development as the key to quality service delivery including policies on training.
- To make evident, through publications and training, to local government managers and the public at large the impact of perverse incentives on the quality, responsiveness, and sustainability of local services.
- To support programs for improving knowledge, skills, and new approaches, methods, and techniques required for municipal officials in areas of policy analysis, governance, institutional development, and management.
- To sensitise public managers based on research that identifies major or human development challenges facing local governments such as urban poverty gender inequalities, and environmental degradation that retard development.
- To enable municipalities to ensure accountability by implementing objective systems measuring and rewarding good performance and skills of monitoring and evaluation.
- Support application of tools that are appropriate for human resources.
- Develop policies, planning, utilisation, and professional development and commission research in this area.
- Help national training institutions design and implement training courses that promote efficiency and effectiveness in areas such as performance and financial management and strategic planning.
- Offer gender training and sensitisation to officials in local government, thereby promoting the adoption of affirmative and deliberate policies that ensure the equitable participation of women in all MDP activities.
- Disseminate and make available, directly or indirectly training materials and experience of others within and outside the region by supporting networking among national institutions.
- Facilitate the establishment of networks among institutions providing training for local governments,
The strategy of this component is to utilise the tools, techniques, and materials developed in Phases I and II as well as materials that have been developed by partner institutions. For training purposes, extensive use will be made of the manuals, modules, and handbooks developed by UNCHS (Habitat), and UMP on a wide range of management issues and leadership sensitisation on governance and urban management capacity building. National training institutes will be assisted in the design and implementation of their strategic plans and will be introduced to new approaches for addressing human development issues that go beyond conventional approaches. MDP will strengthen support for networking among training institutes and university faculties working in this sector. In Phase III, MDP will devolve most of the training activities at the local level to local institutes, while maintaining the lead in providing regional and high-level capacity-building activities.
- Policy frameworks on human resource development for effective local government in regional and national training institution will be, established.
- Municipalities will adopt good practices in Promoting productivity, reliability, and sustainability of service, delivery.
Networking among training institutions of the region and related professional groups will be improved and effective.
- A critical mass of change will be established as local government and specialised institutions in four of the focus countries contribute in a definitive manner to the transformation of local authorities.
The issue of gender equity as a systematic human resource consideration will be established in at least two focus countries
Sub- Programmes Under HRD
The Human Resources Development Component has the following sub-programmes running under it:
- Intergovernmental Fiscal Relations Course
- African Local Government Action Forum
- Local Economic Development
- Urban and City Management
- Municipal Digital Radio Programme