Knowledge Management and Dissemination
The objectives of this activity that constitute program support are:
- ensuring dissemination of quantitative and qualitative results and products of program activities to stakeholders, participants, beneficiaries, and other users;
- reinforcing the standing of MDP as a knowledge and resource centre in the region for the enhancement of local governance, and decentralisation;
- creating opportunities for institutions and individual professionals and experts to communicate their knowledge, expertise, and skills regarding local, national and regional issues; and
- promoting support for research to establish a framework for better understanding of local government issues to improve, policy design, and implementation.
These objectives will be achieved through the maintenance of the MDP website, databases and a Resource Centre. MDP already has materials in a mimeograph developed at the national and regional levels from program activities on policy research studies, seminars, support to municipalities decentralised co-operation, and training. MDP will continue to produce its Working Paper Series of good practices in the form of success cases and other models in strengthening local government in countries of the region and the process of decentralisation. MDP can benefit in its publication programs by co-operating with partners like EDI and IDRC. MDP should also be designed to access the most up-to-date sources of information on relevant research, databases in libraries, and information systems of complementary institutions and programs including UMP, IDRC, and the World Bank as well as those in the region.
Among the major expected impacts of this support program will be:
- the establishment of rapid and efficient exchange of municipal information through modern communication systems of email and the Internet (World Wide web).
- improved quality of MDP activities by incorporating appropriate and cutting edge practices and information;
c.improved knowledge of Sub-Saharan African local government systems through the Local Government Information Centre;
- promotion of the transformation of local government through publication of well researched papers on specific issues which add knowledge and value to the, regions consideration of local governance; and
- motivation of change and improvement by disseminating opportune reports on the state of decentralisation in countries of Eastern and Southern Africa.
- Newsletter August 2003 Message on the Eve of the Ministers' Conference on Urban Agriculture.
- Newsletter February 2003 MDP and SAfAIDS sign a Memorandum of Understanding to address HIV/AIDS at Municipal Level
- Newsletter August 2002: From Municipal Development Programme to Partnership
- Newsletter June 2002: A New Partnership on the Horizon
- Newsletter - January 2001 Municipal Development Programme and Urban Management Programme Partnership in City Consultations: Lessons Learnt
- Mainstreaming Gender in Local Government in Eastern and Southern Africa
- The Challenges of Developing a shared vision on Democratic Decentralisation and Local Government in Africa for the 21st Century A Perspective of African Ministers of Local Government
- Special Issue 7A: The Role of Public-Private Partnership in Enhancing Local Government Service Delivery: The Case of Solid Waste Management (SWM) in Nairobi Kenya by Anne Karanja and Rose Okoth.
- Special Issue 7B: Decentralization of Social Welfare Services to Urban Local Authorities in Zimbabwe: A Case Study of Marondera Municipality by Takawira Mubvami and Ardmore Nhekairo.
- Special issue 7C: Public Procurement and Local Economic Development in South Africa by Prof Chris M Rogerson and Pieter Vorster
- Special issue 7D: Local Government in the Context of New Management Arrangements for Water Supply Systems in Small Towns in Uganda by Dr Denis Muhangi and Polly A Mugisha
- Policy Brief No 6 Making African Cities Creditworthy: The Kampala Experience.
- Policy Brief No 5 Civil Society Participation in Municipal Governance - The Experience of Dondo, Mozambique
- Policy Brief No 3 Environmental Management and Poverty Alleviation in Peri-Urban Settlements: The Case of Mbezi Beach in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Policy Brief No. 2 October 2001 Environmental Management and Poverty Alleviation in Peri-Urban 2. Settlement
- Policy Brief No. 1 What is MDP - October 2001